It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Tom mounts for Virgin Bass Drums
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:47 pm 
Trick Player
Trick Player

thinking of going back to 2 rack toms instead of 1. currently my tom is mounted to a cymbal stand, but i dont want to use a rack and mount them to that because i already have a rack and theyre a pain in the arse to carry onto stage.

does anybody know what i'm talking about? i saw one the mounts years ago. Basically it just allows you to mount your drums like on a normal bass drum, except for a virgin bass drum.

Water and Exercise. :)

Post subject: Re: Tom mounts for Virgin Bass Drums
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:39 am 
Tama Player
Tama Player

No I don't recall what you're talking about. However, why not just mount your second tom on a cymbal stand as well?

6pc SCM Platinum Fade
6pc SCM Blue Silk
5pc B/B Egyptian Night Burst
5pc B/B White Silk
5pc SCP Birch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:50 pm 
Trick Player
Trick Player

TamaDude wrote:
No I don't recall what you're talking about. However, why not just mount your second tom on a cymbal stand as well?

yeh it hard to explain without showinmg a picture. i saw a local drummer who had one on his Mapex kit. say you've got your two bass drum lugs that are up the top which would be at about 11 oclock and 1oclock in reference to a clock time, there were some rods that connected to those lugs, and then where you would usually have a hole in your bass drum shell, there was a slot connection that would sit above the rods and the tom mount forks would slot into that then you'd mount your toms into the forks so that you'd end up with a free floating bass drum tom mount..

anyhow yeh ive considered just mounting a 2nd tom onto another cymbal stand. atm i have my ride sitting where a 2nd tom would usually sit, and the ride is mounted to an arm which is connected to my crash stand. i prefer to mount all my cymbals like that (2 cymbals per stand) rather than have a rack. just makes it easier to carry stuff on stage by myself... i guess if i mount the tom to a stand i'll just have to do some rearranging.

Water and Exercise. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:46 pm 
Gretsch Player
Gretsch Player

I've seen a rack bar strung across the 2 front cymbal stands, and the toms mounted off that. Kind of cross between the flexibility of a rack, without the weight. Gibralter has some stuff that can do that.

I've also seen something that sounds like what you are talking about before. Like a hardware track that attached to the bass drum tension rods and suspends the tom mounts so they don't penetrate the bass drum shell. I think the old RIMS system had something like that. Also, maybe TAYE?

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:29 pm 
DW Player
DW Player

I use a rack. I just got rid of the center bar. It's not as stable missing the center bar, but I haven't had
any problems with anything tipping going on a year now.

It is simple on and off stage (2-3 minutes, less if I have help) and it doesn't have such a "drum rack" look anymore.

I just recently changed my practice kit to the same setup since it has worked so good over the last year.

YAMFNPORC supporter! Part of the UGWDW Club (Ug-wa-daw)
http://www.facebook.com/trevorhammer

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]