It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:43 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: RLRRLL's 40 Rudiments Demystified: The Single Stroke Roll
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:30 pm 
2009 Educator of The Year

Section One of the PASIC 40 Rudiments Sheet covers ROLL RUDIMENTS.
This is further broken down into Single Stroke patterns and Double Stroke patterns.

Rudiment #1 is THE SINGLE STROKE ROLL

The major limitation of a drum is that it only is capable of making one sound at a time. Each time the drum is struck, the length of sound is the same. If we want to produce a longer sound, we must strike the drum multiple times.

The Single Stroke Roll is used to play long rhythms, such as whole notes, half notes, and dotted quarter notes.

Notice that the Single Stroke Roll is written with 32nd Notes?
This is to show that the roll must be Non-Rhythmic. Similar to when a horn player plays a long tone across the bar “BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA”, and drum roll should be smooth and even. Accents can be added, but we first must be able to play a nice smooth bar of 32nd notes.

The Sticking pattern is Hand to Hand, RL RL.
It is advisable to practice starting with the Left hand also, LR LR.

Now, there is some debate over how fast a pattern of RL RL has to be before it can be called a roll. If we play RL RL any slower than 8 beats per second, it does not have that smooth, non rhythmic quality. At that point, the human brain can recognize each individual stroke, count them, subdivide them and organize them. Somewhere around 12- to 15 strokes per second, the RLRL pattern loses its “rhythmic qualities” and becomes a single, long sound. That is when the term “drum roll’ is appropriate. At the slower tempos, the RL RL sticking should be addressed by the name of the subdivision that fits that particular speed (8th notes, 8th triplets, 16th notes).

A common way to practice the Single Stroke Rolls is to start slowly, and gradually go through the different subdivisions until you reach the 32nd Note level.
It is advisable to count or play Quarter Notes as you do this.

Drummers who are known for their singles:
Billy Cobham
Buddy Rich
Jimmy Chamberlin (Smashing Pumpkins)
Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
Thomas Lang
Carl Palmer

Please, add your own favorites to the list!

tomcoynedrums.com

Drummer/Teacher/Performer/Recording Artist/Author

Vic Firth Education Team

45 Grave/The Last Dance/Autumn Cannibals

DW & Ludwig Drums/Zildjian,Supernatural,Silken Cymbals
Vic Firth Sticks/Remo Heads

Post subject: Re: RLRRLL's 40 Rudiments Demystified: The Single Stroke Roll
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:10 pm 
Gretsch Player
Gretsch Player

How about Vinnie Colaiuta?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:16 pm 
Pearl Player
Pearl Player

neil peart has GREAT singe strokes.
also any death metal names like derek roddy, george kollias, or gene hoglan are going to excel in the single stoke department.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:36 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I was wondering about single stroke rolls vs closed rolls. I've read the definitions and I think I understand the distinction, but I was wondering if you could provide a good example between the two.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:30 pm 

The open v closed roll issue pertains more to double stroke rolls than singles. Really, we are talking about the amount of space between the strokes.

Rule of Thumb: Open Rolls = marching / field snare drumming
Closed Rolls = Orchestral snare drumming

Closed rolls (aka buzz or press rolls) are covered in the PASIC 40 rudiments as "Multiple Bounce Rolls". The more you press into the drumhead while playing, the more "closed" the roll is.

A great exercise is to play a long double stroke roll at 100 bpm or so. Start open, and the move into a closed roll, then back out to open. It is not necccisary to speed up at all. It is all a matter of changing the amount of downward pressure into the head, and then decreasing. Add pressure and whoa!: BUZZZZZZZZZ. Release pressure and that puppy opens right up!

Hope this helps!

Go here for a nice little video on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIQKyLX9QPU

tomcoynedrums.com

Drummer/Teacher/Performer/Recording Artist/Author

Vic Firth Education Team

45 Grave/The Last Dance/Autumn Cannibals

DW & Ludwig Drums/Zildjian,Supernatural,Silken Cymbals
Vic Firth Sticks/Remo Heads

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:37 pm 
Ludwig Player
Ludwig Player

yes. the nomenclature I was taught was

double stroke roll = open roll
multiple bounce roll = closed (press) roll.

One thing to avoid when doing multiple bounce rolls is digging into the head too much. It should only be a slight pressure adjustment between double stroke and multiple stroke.

A couple players I'd like to add in the "awesome single stroke" dept are Tony Williams and Narada Michael Walden. Also, of course, at one time called the "fastest drummer in the world", Barrett Deems.

Discovery is the ability to be puzzled by simple things. - Noam Chomsky

six7teen/I'm Gorgeous Inside/Powerhammer(solo)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:01 am 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

My question is in reference to notation that has the half note with three slashes through the stalk, is that indication of a buzz roll? (as on page 12 of stick control)
In the video you linked the subject was explaining buss rolls as having three bounces per stroke, I was taught this is "wrong", but still practice them this way (really, both ways, sometimes 4 or more hits per stroke) because it is more natural and comfortable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:23 am 
Pearl Player
Pearl Player

Barracuda Steve wrote:
My question is in reference to notation that has the half note with three slashes through the stalk, is that indication of a buzz roll? (as on page 12 of stick control)
In the video you linked the subject was explaining buss rolls as having three bounces per stroke, I was taught this is "wrong", but still practice them this way (really, both ways, sometimes 4 or more hits per stroke) because it is more natural and comfortable.

That is a 17 stroke roll. It's a double stroke. The slash marks are called "trills" in other notations, and have a similar function within the music. A quarter with two slashes is a 5 stroke, a quarter with 3 slashes is a 9 stroke, etc.

I really don't think there is a right or wrong way to play a buzz roll as long as you get the desired sound out of the drum. If it makes a buzz sound, then you did it right.

In modern musical parlance, a hemiola is a metrical pattern in which two bars in simple triple time are articulated as if they were three bars in simple duple time... It is NOT an injury one would get while lifting heavy objects.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:56 pm 
Ludwig Player
Ludwig Player

alright, back to single strokes?

how do you guys do it?

What muscles/elements I use are entirely dependent on volume. Start off with fingers for soft articulation, wrists for most of the volume spectrum, and some forearm gets incorporated for VERY loud playing. I generally use french or american grip for softer stuff, turn hand over fully to german grip for loud playing.

If you really want to get your fingers into the picture, a good exercise is to put your hand in french (palms perpendiicular to the ground) grip, and practice making the stick move with each finger in succession. middle ring pinky, middle ring pinky etc/

Discovery is the ability to be puzzled by simple things. - Noam Chomsky

six7teen/I'm Gorgeous Inside/Powerhammer(solo)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:19 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Pretty much same here. I have more control and can get more volume using a German grip, faster speeds with the French grip.
I'm always trying that exercise, my pinky doesn't work so well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:38 pm 
Gretsch Player
Gretsch Player

I've been interested in improving my single stroke abilities as well. I play mostly traditional grip these days but I don't have insane Buddy Rich chops or anything. I noticed this dude in this clip has an interesting strategy of kind of flipping over his left-hand staying in traditional grip mostly to come out of a percussion/drum trade solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A4Dj8Nn-e8

The drum part starts at around 3:00 - the roll is somewhere around 3:25. Really I'd say just watch the whole thing, but I just like this tune by Joao Bosco and his band is tight!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]