It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:37 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: Very Important Question
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:29 pm 
Yamaha Player
Yamaha Player

I threw my back out last summer. The way that I have always played double bass is running on the pedals from the legs and hips. This is what just feels best to me. I really dont get any pain while playing this way, but I worry that when I start touring and sleeping in a van every night and lugging my gear every day combined with running on the pedals may be to much on my lower back. I dont know if this is true but it is just a thought. So i have been working on my heels down playing for double bass. I just dont know if I should keep working on the heels down out of fear that my back may give out when I start gigging everynight, even on a local level, and when touring. Or if I should just disregard this fear and keep running on the pedals like I always have. What do you think?

Also, I do physical therapy exercises almost every day for my back and they really do help. But I stll get back pain in daily life (not so much when I drum thank God). Its mostly from lugging my gear and daily life things like house work, and being on my feet at my day job for long periods of time.

Post subject: Re: Very Important Question
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:09 pm 
Pearl Player
Pearl Player

Honestly, your pedal technique isn't going to affect you anywhere near as much as gear hauling and van habitating. However, gear hauling and van habitating may affect your pedal technique, i.e. pain will force you to play differently out of comfort. Your body will let you know what's up, so just take it as easy as possible. Let the healthy backs do the heavy lifting.

In modern musical parlance, a hemiola is a metrical pattern in which two bars in simple triple time are articulated as if they were three bars in simple duple time... It is NOT an injury one would get while lifting heavy objects.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]