It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:33 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Long time no type
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:41 am 
2009 Educator of The Year
2009 Educator of The Year

Sup' gents!!!!

Just checking in to see what you cats are up to!

Is there anybody out there?

tomcoynedrums.com

Drummer/Teacher/Performer/Recording Artist/Author

Vic Firth Education Team

45 Grave/The Last Dance/Autumn Cannibals

DW & Ludwig Drums/Zildjian,Supernatural,Silken Cymbals
Vic Firth Sticks/Remo Heads

Post subject: Re: Long time no type
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:12 am 
2008 & 2009 Advisor of the Year & Subject Matter Expert ~ Cymbals
2008 & 2009 Advisor of the Year & Subject Matter Expert ~ Cymbals

Here?

Yep, here.

I don't even know where to start. Still playing Reggae and lovin' it. Got into photography. Been doing some paid worth with that here and there; engagement shoots, family portraiture, maternity, real estate, and shot my first wedding this summer for my bass player in Puerto Rico. That was an awesome time. Gomba Jahbari, the most ridiculous Reggae band in PR, was the wedding band.

Other than that, haven't been traveling much. Last summer, my father in law and mom passed away within 2 months. Allyson and I were saving for a house, and that put a bit of a dent in that, financially and emotionally, but we bounced back this year. Closed on a home on August 1 right near where I grew up, which is somewhere I never thought I would end up. I finally have space to set up my drums (and digi drums) finally, but haven't had even a second to set up either.

Gear. Well, I decided to chill on a bunch of the buying and selling I was doing right up until our vertical started last fall. I then sold my Pearl Reference kit and picked up a used C&C from a collector who was liquidating some stuff to make room for new gear. It consists of 8x10 and 9x13 rack toms, 14x14 and 16x16 floor toms and a 16x24 kick. It's my first 24. It's ridiculous. The shell construction maple/poplar/maple 6 ply wrapped in aged marine pearl. The sound is remarkable and so was the price.

For our weekly gig, we have a very small space to set up in, so I picked up a Taye GoKit. It's a teeny tiny bugger, but it's great for a small footprint, low volume environment. The build quality is really good and it sounds oh so nice. Other drums I've picked up include a 5.75x13 Noble & Cooley 150th Anniversary Alloy Classic, which loves to be tuned low and a '79 Gretsch 14x20 kick in a natural finish.

Cymbals. Well some of you probably remember how I am with the bronze. I calmed down on the buying and selling of them, too. The last one I picked up was about 9 or 10 months ago; a 22" Hammerax Liquicy. Cool cymbal that when used at the right time can give you just the right sonic effect. Of course, I've got a few other pies in the cross hairs right now, but we'll see about them.

Still working for the same company, and may be looking at moving into a marketing position that may or may not have been created with me in mind, the main focus of which may or may not be building up a music accessories division. If it works out, it could be a cool opportunity for me and could mean that I could convince the company to send me back out to NAMM and possibly other trade shows to build the brand. We'll see about that too.

Other than that, just trying to get by. I try to be as good a husband as I can, but I'm not perfect. Health is still okay. Still surrounded by good people. Job is steady. Can't complain, really. I hope everyone else is doing alright, too.

First, you must learn to play by the rules.
Then, you must forget the rules
and play from your heart.

How did I blank on Ronnie Verell?

Post subject: Re: Long time no type
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:23 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I still stop by to see if there are fresh posts, there sure was a drought for a while.

For better or worse, my life hasn't really changed. I still work regularly with multiple bands in L.A., and the Al gig is stronger than ever, with the new album debuting at #1 on Billboard's Top-200 Albums chart in July.

Ummm... I got a few more cymbals recently.

Yep, that's about it.

Bermuda

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]