It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:33 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Forum Nicknames
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:39 pm 
2008 & 2009 Advisor of the Year & Subject Matter Expert ~ Cymbals
2008 & 2009 Advisor of the Year & Subject Matter Expert ~ Cymbals

When I was in college, the first group of friends I made on the porch of Oak Hall at Penn State, Altoona, decided to give ourselves nicknames. I had a t-shirt from a George Carlin show I had seen that read, "Simon says, go F$%# yourself" on the back. I thought it was hilarious. Well, George Carlin's character in the epic film Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure was Rufus, so I bequeathed myself with the nickname, "Rufus." It has stuck to this day.

When it comes to the drums, and music in general, I find that tunes that groove hard are the ones I seem to vibe on the most. I decided to take my 15+ year old nickname and add it to the music I had the most resonance with, groove, and came up with rufus4dagruv (obviously, the "u" is more of a long "oo" sound). When read aloud, say "Rufus for (4) the (da) groove (gruv).

No, I have no problems with anyone addressing me as Rufus.

First, you must learn to play by the rules.
Then, you must forget the rules
and play from your heart.

How did I blank on Ronnie Verell?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:16 am 
Yamaha Player
Yamaha Player

Frosty's just the name I usually use in forums online.

Don't really know why.
(not very exciting, i know.)

YAMFNPORC REPRESENT

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:59 am 
Tama Player
Tama Player

I just felt using my actual name was a little unimaginative.

One of my T Shirt's has "Exploding Drummer" on it, which I wore to DRT'08 and caused me to be stopped by the air security peeps... Probably wasn't wise to wear that kind of T shirt as I boarded a plane, but it never even occurred to me. :P

Anyway, figured it was kind of cool for a username as my playing with SomaHigh is usually pretty explosive.

TLA/Dr.Vegas.

Member of the Vic Firth Education Team.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:00 pm 
Tama Player
Tama Player

I dont really know where I adopted mine from. I never used to say "it's OK" I've always said "It's all gravy baby" so that where my ridiculous username comes from!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:38 pm 
Mapex Player
Mapex Player

When my friend got a Wii for his 16th birthday, I made a mii on it. When I was typing in my characters name, I had a lot of trouble hitting the right letters on the keyboard with the remote. I just left the spelling mistakes and ended up with Jusfim instead of Justin.

Bands:
Dead Man
At All Times

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:49 am 
Tama Player
Tama Player

Several years ago I played a show and all night people that I didn't know were calling me Gideon in conversation. I was a little drunk and goin nuts. "Why do people think my name is Gideon?" was the most common phrase out of my mouth that night. Turns out my guitar player had circulated that everyone should call me Gideon all night. It stuck. I use it. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:38 pm 
Yamaha Player
Yamaha Player

Back in the day, like 5th grade, when I first started a band, my best friends and drummer at the time, and I started a "Llama Club" just because we thougth it would be weird. I still have the T-shirt I made for it, and I get still to this day get called Llama Guy, Llama Boy, and of course, Llama Dude.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:44 pm 
Tama Player
Tama Player

I got mine from my cousin, and I don't have a clue why he came up with this name and finally told me to use that name (his original name was 'Asdexquor', but I shorten it to Asdex). And no, I don't play video games,
I just found it cool, and use it. One day, my friend asked me why I use 'Asdex' for my DML account (UGW wasn't made at that time), and suddenly he asked whether it means 'Albert Suriadi (my name) Drum EXpert', and I was like :? .. Well, I'm not an expert in the first hand, I'm still learning like many others, but I can be said as the most experienced drummer in school, so I get why he said that to me! :P Hey! It's a good way to motivate yourself right?? :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:30 am 
Pearl Player
Pearl Player

I just simply took my goal, which is to play drums for my entire life, and got drumsforlife. It also means I'm a drummer for life. It's not something I'm ever going to quit. It is always going to be a part of me. So yea...drums...for...life...there ya go.

My real name is Michael.

Pearl|Remo|PDP|Zildjian|Bosphorus|Istanbul|Dream

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:01 pm 
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I first picked an "online username" for, I think, Ebay. Way back when... Stuck with the same one for online fora ever since.

Sadly the recounting is not as funny as living it first hand but:

I was in a band at University. A bit Zappa / Bungle / Monty Python / Spike Milligan styled. About 3 years into this band, the guitarist and I suddenly found out from the keyboard player that the bassist had an anecdote to tell regarding an encounter with a ladyfriend a year or so before. He was so drunk one night in a club that when he met this young girl he didn't notice anything odd about her despite getting to know her, shall we say, rather well. The next day however, along with the hangover, came the observation that the poor girl had no front teeth* How he missed this at the time baffles us (and him) to this day.

Well, this was ripe material for a song, so "She had no teeth" was born that very afternoon. An angular verse riff in 11/8 with a straight 4/4 but oddly phrased bridge and a groovy 4/4 chorus. Never did quite pull it off 100% in a live performance though...

Later we had a little record label and did a website. Twas in the days when it was customary to have a "webmaster" contact email and we were, of course, "Teeth Records" after the song (should have gone with Dental Records, but never mind). So, for some reason, we went from webmaster to webmeister to teethmeister. That was me. And still is. Though only people I meet from these cymbal and drum fora call me teethmeister on and offline. Most call me Matt.

* she had actually just suffered an accident involving falling over sat the wrong-way round in a chair and biting on the top of a low wall (ouch!) and hadn't yet had the dental repair work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:52 pm 
Founder & 2009 UGW Member of The Year
Founder & 2009 UGW Member of The Year

Ok, boring story.

Real name is Andy or really "Arthur" to be truthful.

Drumsplus came from my old drum instructor who was trying to open a store. He called it Drumsplus and it is open to a greater or lesser extent. When I started on DML, I was helping him promote the company so I used the name.

Well he only teaches drums and I teach drums, some hand percussion and a little beginner piano, so the name stuck and I brought it over here.

I was going to change it once until I got my hand slapped by Mr. Zen, so it's still the same old, same old.....

SilverFox Sticks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:53 pm 
Founder & 2008 Member Of The Year
Founder & 2008 Member Of The Year

teethmeister wrote:
I first picked an "online username" for, I think, Ebay. Way back when... Stuck with the same one for online fora ever since.

Sadly the recounting is not as funny as living it first hand but:

I was in a band at University. A bit Zappa / Bungle / Monty Python / Spike Milligan styled. About 3 years into this band, the guitarist and I suddenly found out from the keyboard player that the bassist had an anecdote to tell regarding an encounter with a ladyfriend a year or so before. He was so drunk one night in a club that when he met this young girl he didn't notice anything odd about her despite getting to know her, shall we say, rather well. The next day however, along with the hangover, came the observation that the poor girl had no front teeth* How he missed this at the time baffles us (and him) to this day.

Well, this was ripe material for a song, so "She had no teeth" was born that very afternoon. An angular verse riff in 11/8 with a straight 4/4 but oddly phrased bridge and a groovy 4/4 chorus. Never did quite pull it off 100% in a live performance though...

Later we had a little record label and did a website. Twas in the days when it was customary to have a "webmaster" contact email and we were, of course, "Teeth Records" after the song (should have gone with Dental Records, but never mind). So, for some reason, we went from webmaster to webmeister to teethmeister. That was me. And still is. Though only people I meet from these cymbal and drum fora call me teethmeister on and offline. Most call me Matt.

* she had actually just suffered an accident involving falling over sat the wrong-way round in a chair and biting on the top of a low wall (ouch!) and hadn't yet had the dental repair work.

I apologize if it's in bad taste, but that is a VERY FUNNY STORY!
Cheers my friend!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:56 pm 
I Built My Own Drums!
I Built My Own Drums!

My name is Tyler, and I like drums.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:58 pm 
My screen name came from my Army career, something I'm very proud of. I love being part of the rich history and tradition of the Airborne soldier and Airborne Rangers in particular. As a Reservist now, I still get to jump 4-5 times a year and it's always thrilling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:21 am 
Tama Player
Tama Player

My nick name at work is Crusto. I get very dirty at work. An old Italian guy walked up to me one day (about ten years ago) and said "you look lke a Crusto" and it stuck. So Crustoman is a really bad super hero. Always drunk, late,filthy,dirty and abusive. I like it.

http://www.myspace.com/therevheads

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:32 am 
Tama Player
Tama Player

My name is Emil, I simply removed the i. :mrgreen:

Remo/Aquarian/Evans

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:36 am 
Forum Noob
Forum Noob

My surname is Elwick.
I have a Portuguese friend (also a very good drummer) who called me Hellwick.
I changed it to Hellwyck then to Hellwÿck for real heavy metal effect (the umlauts are actually optional).

My other username is 'vertiis_luke' as my name is Luke and I'm in the band Vertiis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:28 pm 
Subject Matter Expert - Rudimental Drumming
Subject Matter Expert - Rudimental Drumming

Back in the 90s, I was a Starcraft player. A BIG starcraft player. The first time I ever logged onto the servers, eager and boucning in my computer chair, it asked me for a username. Well, I never really thought about a name for myself, and I didn't want to use my real name. So, I closed my eyes and pressed some random keys. "h;omlki" is close to what I pressed. I then removed a few letters, and bam, "Homki" was born.

The "890" wasn't added until years later, whenI was signing up for a Yahoo account. I went to put in Yahoo, and wouldn't ya know, but the username was already taken. It suggested, "Homki123" but I said, "Shove it Yahoo! I'm going to use the opposite end of the numbers on MY keyboard!" And thus, Homki890 was born, and I've used it to this day.

For those wondering, it's pronounced like "Han" from Han Solo, except with an M instead of an N. So, I guess the way to write it would be "Haam-key 890"

I've also been called KalicoKyle, Half-Stache, KyleTheMagi, and Jew. The first two are because of my half white mustache. The third is because of the fact I'm a professional magician. The fourth...has a story. In my freshman year, I wore a Yamakha (sp?) to school. You know, those little caps that Jewish people wear? Yep, wore it to school, seeing if I could get away with telling my teachers it was a religious holiday. I succeeded, but from then on, people thought I was Jewish. For the record, I'm not Jewish at all.

Homki890

Percussion Director for the North Greene Indoor Percussion Ensemble

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2